Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pure Listening

Simply listen. That is all that's needed. Listening applies to every relationship we have - including with ourselves and with God. Do it effectively and you can make an enormous difference...


What are you communicating
when you listen to your friends?
Will they be thinking "this is someone
on whom I can depend.
Someone who's consistently there
with a helping hand to lend.
Someone who's completely sincere,
and isn't going to pretend.
Someone who'll float down my river,
no matter which way it bends."

"Someone who's not trying to fix me,
who'll go further than meaningless chatter,
who understands what's important to me,
who's willing to climb up my ladder,
who'll remember things from dialogues past,
who won't condemn or make dreams shatter,
who'll ride shotgun and let me drive,
who'll be my catcher instead of a batter,
who listens with caring whatever the topic
who shows me that right now I am all that matters."

Pure brotherly and sisterly love
is the message deep listening sends.
Is this what you're communicating
when you listen to your friends?

--DW 4/09

No comments:

Post a Comment